Monday, March 26, 2007

Wildlife

Ok so I know it's not Alaskan big game, but there is wildlife in Kansas. So far since arriving here, I have seen numerous small four legged varieties such as raccoons, opossums, and skunks, some unidentifiables and three deer. I confess, the above mentioned are hmm.... roadkill but wildlife nonetheless. I don't believe there has been a day that I have driven to town and have not seen some kind of poor creature on or about the highway. So far the only living creatures I have seen were four deer bounding across a lawn just off of the highway. They were large deer by the way. I know there are skunks not far away as their pungent odor is often in the air and I am not to anxious about having any encounters with the little striped critters. One thing that I found a little surprising is that there are pelicans here on our little lake. I wasn't quite sure about it until one flew quite close over my car while I was driving. Pelicans for sure. How far are we away from the nearest ocean? Well I guess that just goes to prove God has a sense of humor or He wants to make it seem like I am close to the ocean. Who knew I would go to Kansas and see pelicans??

No comments: